The human figure is among the most persistent of images. Our minds seek it
out through layers of distortion and recognize the image of our kind from
the slightest hints. We can see faces in the moon and clouds and can
recognize our friends at a hundred yards. So everyone is thoroughly
familiar with my subject matter, and I count on that familiarity, because I
love to play with the figure, to see it emerge from a field of marks or
watch as blobs of paint resolve themselves into the inevitable image of a
face. I'm looking for that borderline where the marks exist simultaneously
as paint and image, a border where sign and object fuse so that the image
takes on the force of an actual object. When you see a face or figure in
one of my paintings you've gotten the whole point of it.
||Graduate School of Figurative Art, New York Academy of Art, NY, NY.
MFA, with honors, 1995
||School of Visual Arts, New York, N.Y.
BFA, with honors, 1988
||Brown University, Providence, R.I.
Fine Arts major.
- January 1995: Laird Smith Gallery, Everett, Washington.
- January 1994: Two person Show, Gallery Juno, New York, NY.
- November 1993: Laird Smith Gallery, Everett, Washington.
- November 1996:Erector Square Gallery, New Haven Conn.
- May 1995: MFA Exhibit, New York Academy of Art, New York, N.Y.
- October 1994: Group Show, New York Academy of Art, New York, NY.
- August 1994: Group Show, Laird Smith Gallery Everett, Washington.
- December 1992: Group show, Parsons School of Design, "Political
- Bill Gibbons Studio: Self employed artist and mural painter.
- Clients include many of New York's designers and architects.
- Evergreene Painting Studio, New York, N.Y.
- Hired as a project manager in 1984, promoted to design dept., becoming head designer in 1986. Projects included design and execution of murals for Bergdorf Goodman, Bloomingdales, The Liberty Cafe, The Jewish Museum, the Plaza Club and many others. (1984-1988)
- The Public Theater, New York, N.Y.
- Designed and fabricated props for theater productions including La Boheme.
To contact the artist: email@example.com
- Margaret Locsin, Brussels
- Cynthia Wood, New York City
- Ambassador Jaidi, Bronxville, New York
- Suthira Zalamea, New York City
Livingstone Library, NYC
- Bob Howe, Hong Kong
- Hillary Klein, New York City
vThomas Craughwell, Tarrytown, NY
- Cota Yabut, San Francisco
- New York Yankees, Bronx, NY
- Linda Allard, Fairfield, Conn.
- Carl Wyss, Tenafly, N.J.